Wednesday 8 January 2014

Different Ways with Diecuts - Part 1


Do you have a Big Shot die cutting machine?  Wondering what to do with it?

I thought it might be fun to do a few posts on different ways to use some of my favourite dies.

1.  Shaped cards:


Want to know how I made it?  Easy!  I made a Pacific Point version and a Tangerine Tango version.

Supplies:  
Stamps:  Woodgrain background; Wildflower Meadow Background stamp; Sweet Essentials
Ink:  (blue cards) Pacific Point Classic Ink, Soft Sky classic ink, soft sky, Old Olive, Marina Mist, Pacific Point markers, Jet Black Stayzon ink.  (orange cards) Tangerine Tango Classic ink, cameo coral, pumpkin pie, tangerine tango, crushed curry markers, Jet Black Stayzon.
Other:  Big Shot, Labels Collection Framelits, basic rhinestones, sponges.

Method:
1. Take half an A4 sheet of Whisper White cardstock, fold it in half to form the card base.

2.  Line up Largest Labels Framelit as shown so that the folded edge is inside the frame and cut out with your Big Shot and the magnetic plate.  TIP:  the magnetic platform means the framelit won't shift around; if you don't have one, use post it notes or washi tape to keep your framelit where you want it.



3.  Using the same framelit, cut out a piece of Pacific Point/Tangerine Tango card.

4.  Stamp your blue or orange piece with a background stamp (I used Woodgrain here). Use the same colour ink as the cardstock for a tone on tone effect.
TIP:  when using a large background stamp, bring the ink to the stamp (see picture) and place your cardstock on top.  Press evenly with your fingers or a bone folder.  Place some scratch paper on top if you don't want to get ink on your fingers (clearly I don't care about a little mess!).



Then sponge the edges with the same ink.

5.  Next, I cut a label from Whisper White cardstock - I used one two sizes smaller than the big one I used for the card base.  


Once this is cut out, sponge the edges as before.

6.  Next stamp your main image.  I used a background stamp called Wildflower Meadows, and I inked it up using Stampin' Markers.  When stamping with markers, always use the brush end and remember to "huff" on the stamp when you have finished colouring it, because otherwise the ink will dry out before you stamp.  Also, I try to use the lightest colours first, then shade with darker colours over the top.  Markers are the best way to make a stamped image multicoloured.  And they are inexpensive too!

7.  Now you can assemble your card - adhere your layers.



Last of all, I used a scrap of whisper white (left over from cutting out the white label shape), and cut it into a 2.5cm strip.  I stamped the strip with the woodgrain stamp in the lightest ink (soft sky on the blue card, cameo coral on the orange one).  I stamped a sentiment in black Stayzon ink (my personal favourite black ink) and notched the ends before sponging the edges to make sure it coordinated with the rest of the card.  Then I adhered the sentiment, using dimensionals, and placed a few adhesive rhinestones to finish it off.

I actually made four blue and four orange cards - it was pretty easy to mass produce by cutting everything out at once. Now my card stash is starting to fill up nicely!

Let me know if you'd like to order any of these products from me, or if you have questions, leave a comment.  


No comments:

Getting closer....

It's nearly that time of year, where the retirement list comes out.  That means the in-colours we've loved the past 2 years are leav...